Sunday, March 15, 2009

Week Eight/Nine

Me, Katie, and Laura at Sugar Sweet Sunshine
St. John's Cathedral in the Upper West Side
Colleen and I at the apartment!

It's finally Spring Break! Woo hoo! 

And I've decided that every 2 weeks is probably a better goal than every week.....

Highlights from these past 2 (much warmer) weeks:

*Walking from the Empire State Building at 34th st. to 110th st. to meet Kyla at the Hungarian Pastry Shop...ok, I took a quick break to eat lunch, but impressive right? Kyla met me there after babysitting and we had a wonderful time. It was close to Columbia and also across the street from the glorious St.John's Cathedral. I really love how each section of NY has such a different vibe/feel and enjoyed walking through the different areas of the Upper West Side. 
*An interesting experience at Union Square. So, after class on Friday I decided I was going to get my hair cut. I had read reviews about this place near NYU called Astor Hair and decided to try it out. I accidently got on the "N" express train and instead of being able to get off at 8th st. I had to get off at Union Square. The farmer's market was already up and going and I was excited to stumble upon all the fresh fruits and delicious breads. I was hungry and bought an organic bran muffin at one of the booths. As I was walking away a guy called out "Hey, muffin girl!". I immediately turned around to see a tall dark-haired man with a clipboard. After he obviously had my attention he added "You look like you take care of yourself..." "Hmm? I guess?", I responded. He went on to explain that a Paul Mitchell salon on Madison Ave. was having a special which included a hair cut and style, manicure, facial, and massage all for $60. He said they were doing this in order to get people to refer them and also return as normal clients. After asking him several detailed questions as I was still a bit skeptical I decided I might as well try it out, considering I was about to pay at least $40 just to get my hair cut. I signed up and booked my appointments for the following Tuesday and Thursday. Even though I still had to pay a $15 service fee when I got there, it was still a great deal for everything I got. After my appointments I left feeling very pampered!
*Going to Jackson Hole in Murray Hill for a hamburger with Jen and Kristin- it was fun to get to relax on a Friday in a fun, layed back atmosphere. 
*Running/walking with Kyla in Central Park on Saturday- the weather was amazing! Afterwards we came back to the apartment and made a delicious lunch. 
*Exploring Chinatown and Little Italy on Saturday night with Laura and Katie. In attempts to find a restaurant to eat at we ventured a little too far in the wrong direction and ended up being out of Manhattan for about 5 minutes...don't ask me how this happened! We finally found a restaurant called Bread in Nolita and had an awesome time. Since we were so close, I had to take them to Sugar Sweet Sunshine. They both admitted the cupcakes triumphed Magnolia's. Take that, Magnolia! :)
*Grabbing a panini at Payard and taking it to Central Park on Sunday morning. I love Sunday's here....maybe even more than Saturday's. I met Jen at Gotham Coffee House later to study and then we went to the 6 p.m. Redeemer service. Tim Keller gave the most amazing sermon and I left so challenged and even more in awe of the Gospel and its transforming power. I recommend downloading it off the Redeemer website- its called "Justified by Faith" in his series on the Bible as a whole story of redemption and restoration. It will be well worth your time, I promise.
*Making dinner with MK at the apartment on Thursday night. We made my favorite salad that Rachel makes all the time- lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, gruyere, and their signature salad dressing. I have loved getting to know MK while being here- she is such a real and engaging person and I am really glad God brought us together in this big city! 
*Getting to have lunch with Colleen and her two friends on Saturday. She is here for an advertising trip but decided to come early to explore the city. We went to Via Quadronno, a cute restaurant in the UES. I loved getting to see her and also loved my panini and cappucino! :)
*Seeing "Reasons to be Pretty" with MK and her roommate on Saturday night. It is a new Broadway show and MK had gotten tickets since she is a press intern and this is one of the shows she is covering. I really enjoyed it and think it will do well! MK and I went down to the West Village and met up with her friend Lauren afterwards at this place called The Dove Parlour. I had a good time talking to her friend and met some other people as well! 

My mom, sister, and sister's friend Kelly all got here today and I am so excited they're here! We all went to the 6 p.m. Redeemer and then me, Kelly, and Michelle went to dinner while my mom met up with a close friend who lives here. It was so encouraging talking to Michelle and Kelly at dinner and hearing how they are growing in their faith and seeing the Lord work in their lives as well as at OU. I can't wait to spend these next few days with them and get to take them to some of my favorite NYC spots. My mom and I will be heading to D.C. to visit my Uncle Mac on Tuesday for a night so I am also looking forward to seeing him and his family! 

Hasta pronto! :)

No comments: