Sunday, February 8, 2009

Week Four

Central Park
Sipping my latte at Max Brenners!
My cozy and wonderful room

After being here for a month I am starting to understand the love/hate relationship many feel about New York City. 

Here's the deal. You have these moments when you just can't take enough of it in- where a picture could not capture the true beauty of something as simple as a tall building or something as complex as a crowded subway with people of every size, color, and lifestyle imaginable. This is the "love" side of the equation. It's the feeling I get when I'm sitting in a cute, quaint coffee shop or bakery and am just content watching people from the window and sipping my latte (although I'm trying to stick with coffee as $5 lattes are quite the indulgence here). Let me tell you this- New York is the best city for people watching! On the other hand, though, you also have these moments where you just want everything to stop, if just for a second. The constant activity and hustle and bustle gets to be frustrating, even though you know this IS New York. Capitalism began here and continues here...and the crazy thing is being able to see it played out in everyday life! All that to say, I am beginning to understand this love/hate relationship people speak of, even though I mostly view the things to "hate" as adjustments and qualities that make New York the city it is. 

Speaking of love, these are some of the things I loved about this past week:

* Seeing Shrek on Broadway with Chris and then going to Max Brenner and getting some delicious dessert afterwards...
* Visiting the Cloisters Museum in Harlem. It was such a great educational experience and also fun to see a different part of NY!
* Having brunch with the Suffield's on Saturday at their hotel. They were so encouraging and generous to me! 
* Heading to New Jersey for the King's basketball tournament between all the houses...Barton got 3rd place and it was fun getting to participate in a school-wide event. 
* Going on a run/walk in Central Park on Sunday afternoon with Serena...everyone was out because of the warmer weather, which made it very enjoyable!
* Visiting Apostles Church with Shelby Skidmore and seeing some friends from King's!

Sorry this was a bit short, but just wanted to share some highlights of my week! Rachel left for Spain today and will  be gone until next Tuesday so me and Serena will be together all week. I get to take her to school every morning and we will have dinner together each night, so I am looking forward to spending lots of time with her this week! She continues to impress and amaze me with how mature and delightful she is for her age. 

Hope you enjoy the few pictures I took from this past week! :)

No comments: